FAQ's about Disabilty

Below is a list of some common questions that you may have about disability support. If you would like to discuss your enquiries further, please contact Student Services on your Campus to make an appointment with a Student Services Advisor.


I have a disability and need support. What do I do?

It would be best to make an appointment to see a Student Services Advisor (SSA) at your Campus as soon as possible. It would be preferable to get the required medical documentation prior to your appointment with the SSA.


I don't have an official diagnosis. Can I still get support?

Unfortunately, it is very hard to provide adequate support without the required supporting medical documentation. 

I have a disability but I don't want anyone to know about it. Can I still get support?

Unfortunately, without disclosure to the Student Services Advisor (SSA), there this very little that SAE can do to support you throughout your program. The information you provide is collected for the purpose of developing and approving your student access plan and the provision of other required support to assist you to reach your full potential here at SAE.

The SSA will only disclose your personal or health information to other SAE staff upon your consent. Please feel free to contact the SSA to discuss your concerns.


What is a Student Access Plan Disability - SAPD?

This is a document prepared by the Student Services Advisor in consultation with yourself as the student. Your SAPD is used to document information about the impact of your disability on your studies. It also outlines reasonable adjustments which you can provide to academic staff each trimester. Please see the Student Access Plan for more information.

Who gets to see my SAPD?

The Student Access Plan Disability (SAPD) is developed by the Student Services Advisor (SSA) in consultation with yourself. The SSA will need to see the medical documentation you provide. The SSA then seeks feedback from the Department Coordinator and Campus Academic Coordinator before the SAPD is finalised and an electronic copy sent to you. Please note, the SAPD may not necessarily disclose the nature of your disability, only the impact that your disability has on your ability to study, and the reasonable adjustments that may be required.

You can then use your SAPD to negotiate reasonable adjustments with academic staff in your modules.

It is important to note that you are not obliged to disclose your disability to academic staff after finalisation of the SAPD, but of equal importance is that the relevant SAE staff may not be able to meet your needs if they are not informed of your individual circumstances.

I have a Student Access Plan Disability (SAPD) in place and am currently unwell. I cannot attend my exam or submit my assessment. What can I do?

You will need to apply for Special Consideration, which must be made in writing and accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation.

You will need to complete the application within 3 working days of your examination, and for assignments, must be lodged before or with the submission of your assignment.

If you have a SAPD in place and your current illness is related to the diagnosis on your SAPD, you do not need to provide any further medical documentation with your Special Consideration Form.

If your current illness / condition is related to something other than what’s on your SAPD, you will need to provide further medical documentation to support your application for Special Consideration.

Do I need to register for disability support at the start of my course?

It is preferable to register at the start of your course as the sooner you register, the sooner you can get support.

However, you can register at any time throughout your course.

To register for disability support, please visit: How to register

Does it cost anything to get disability support?

No. As a student of SAE, support services are provided free of charge.