Artwork by Marcia McGuire, a proud Whadjuk, Ballardong and Yamatji Aboriginal woman from Perth.
Artwork by Whadjuk, Ballardong and Yamatji artist from Perth, Marcia McGuire. Multicolour graphic. First Nations People.

We are pleased to advise the Australian Government has opened borders to fully vaccinated international students holding a valid student visa. You will be eligible to travel to Australia without the requirement for a travel exemption (note: requirements vary from state to state).

Please visit for the latest updates.

International student travel is now possible because over 90% of Australia’s adult population is fully vaccinated against COVID19.
Artwork by Whadjuk, Ballardong and Yamatji artist from Perth, Marcia McGuire
  • Restrictions vary across Australia and it is a good idea to check the latest information on the Government Website.
  • Before arranging travel, you should check the Home Affairs website information for vaccinated travelers.

Below, you will find frequently asked questions about vaccines, tests, and support services.

Frequently asked questions


1.1 When will I be able to return to Australia for my studies?

International student visa holders can now enter Victoria, NSW and QLD.

Please refer to the latest government advice from the Department of Home Affairs.

Students must meet certain conditions, which are set out below in Section 2.1.

1.2 When will I be able to return to Western Australia for my studies?

Students that are already enrolled are permitted to enter Western Australia. New students are not currently permitted to enter WA.

Please refer to the latest government advice from the West Australian Government.

1.3 Will I have to quarantine?

For NSW, QLD, Victoria – No, students will not be required to quarantine upon entering Australia.

For WA, SA – No. Students should arrive after Queensland meets their 90% vaccination rate so you do not have the quarantine. This is expected to happen soon, however, we will inform you when we know the specific date.

2.1 What are the conditions of entry into Australia from overseas?

To enter Australia you must:

You must also comply with any specific quarantine requirements in the state or territory of your arrival, and any other state or territory to which you plan to travel.

2.2 Will it be compulsory for international students to receive a COVID-19 vaccine prior to entering Australia? 


Australia requires international arrivals to be fully vaccinated with a TGA-approved or recognised vaccine. This is to help protect your safety and that of the Australian community. A list of vaccines currently recognised and approved in Australia can be found here.

2.3 How do I know if my vaccination certificate meets Australia’s requirements?

Travellers vaccinated outside Australia will be required to present certificates that meet the following criteria:

  • Issued by a national or state/provincial-level authority or an accredited vaccination provider
  • Written in English or accompanied by a certified translation
  • Must contain:
  • Name as it appears on traveller’s passport
  • Either date of both or passport number
  • The vaccine brand name, and
  • The date of each does or the date the full course of immunisation was completed.

Both paper and digital certificates are acceptable.

2.4 What evidence do students need to provide to show they have been fully vaccinated?

International travellers will be required to submit an Australian Travel Declaration online with a copy of their vaccination certificate before their flight. This needs to be completed at least 72 hours before your flight.

You will then need to provide an International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate (ICVC) or foreign vaccination certificate when you board your flight and again, on arrival in Australia.  Further information can be viewed at the  Smartraveller website.

2.5 If an international student’s vaccine isn’t recognised by the TGA but it is in their home country, can they be considered for entry?

No.  Only students who are fully vaccinated with a vaccine recognised by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) can enter Australia.

3.1 Will I need a current student visa to return to Australia?

Yes, you will need to hold a valid student visa to enter Australia.  Students can check their current visa status and the expiry date of their visa through VEVO or their ImmiAccount.

Students can also use their ImmiAccount to apply for a new visa if theirs has already expired or is close to expiring.  For further information, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

4.1 What can international students do to prepare to come to Australia?

Enrolled students

  • Ensure they are fully vaccinated with a TGA approved vaccine;
  • Contact their travel agent and start looking into their travel arrangements to Australia;
  • Understand their local COVID-19 testing arrangements;
  • Understand how to get relevant travel exemptions (if required).

Prospective Students 

  • Select their course
  • Submit your application
  • If successful, pay your OSHC and first tuition instalment;
  • Apply for a student visa.

4.2 Is there a checklist I could follow to prepare for travel to Australia?


The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs provides a checklist of information and steps you will need to follow.

4.3 Who will inform current international students if they are eligible to return to Australia?

Current students can return for all states of which there is an SAE campus.

5.1 What if I get Covid-19 in Australia? 

If you get tested for the virus, or you have symptoms, you need to stay at home. You will need to do this until you either have a negative test result or your symptoms have gone – whichever is longer. It may take a day or 2 for your test results to come back.

If your doctor says you are well enough to go home while you wait for your test results, you should protect yourself and others.

If you meet certain criteria, you may be considered a suspect case and be required to isolate.

People who are required to quarantine will need to continue to do so, regardless of a negative test result. For further information read guidance for people tested for COVID-19.

For questions about testing or patient welfare, call the National Coronavirus Helpline. Please also inform your college immediately.

5.2 What medical treatment and support am I covered for as an international student?

International students are required to have health insurance while they are studying in Australia.

5.3 Can International students and their families remain confident that they can stay safe and protected from Covid-19 once they recommence their studies in Australia?

In the uncertainty of these times, Australia’s focus on minimising the risks of COVID-19 means international students can be more confident of their experience here than anywhere else in the world.

Read the latest SAE news

Three students gaming next to each other

Want to speak to someone about enrolling?

Fill in one of the forms below and an SAE representative will be in touch.
How can we help you?
Learn more about our courses, ask a question or request more information.
Take the first step in launching your creative career with confidence
SAE is excited to now offer our campus tours in person or online!

Book a Tour

SAE boasts world-class facilities and collaborative spaces geared towards the creative media industries, as well as flexible remote learning options.

Why not check SAE out for yourself and book a campus tour? When you book a campus tour, you are given an opportunity to speak to an SAE Course Advisor, who can address your needs and help answer your questions.
Choose Your Country
Choose Your Language