My student visa

Most international students require a student visa to study in Australia.  Only CRICOS registered courses are approved for meeting the student visa requirements. 

How to apply for a student visa

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is responsible for issuing visas for entry to Australia and provides detailed information on visa requirements and the visa application process on their website.

Visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for more information. 


From 1 July 2016, there will be only one student visa type available to study in Australia: Student visa (subclass 500).

Under the SSVF:

  • all international students will apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study;
  • all international students will be required to apply for their student visa online;
  • a new immigration risk framework will be used to guide the evidence of English language and financial capacity that a student needs to provide with their visa application.


  1. Visit the DIBP website to select the Education Provider you would like to study with. You can find “SAE Institute Pty Ltd” by searching alphabetically here: Select Education Provider. After selecting SAE from the list, you will be prompted to choose your Country of Passport.

  2. After selecting the provider and your country of passport, the system will generate a Document Checklist for Student Visa (subclass 500). Review this checklist and familiarise yourself with the visa requirements.

  3. Apply for a course and satisfy SAE entry requirements to receive a Letter of Offer

  4. Receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from SAE

  5. Create an ImmiAccount with the DIBP here: Create an ImmiAccount. (You can do this at any time, you do not need a CoE to create an ImmiAccount)

  6. Log into your ImmiAccount and apply online for your Student Visa and pay the Visa Application Fee: Fees and charges for visas


The DIBP aim to finalise 75 per cent of complete student visa applications within one month of lodgement.

To reduce visa processing times, students are strongly encouraged to submit all required documents with their visa applications. Failure to submit all required documents might lead to processing delays or visa refusal.


Your Student Visa will have conditions determined by the DIBP; these will be listed on your Visa Grant Notice. Some conditions will be the same for each Student Visa (Mandatory Conditions) while others may be applied depending on your specific circumstances (Discretionary conditions). Generally, mandatory conditions state that you must:

  • Not work more than 40 hours over a 14-day period
  • Not engage in any paid employment prior to the commencement date of your course
  • Remain enrolled full-time in a CRICOS registered course of study
  • Maintain satisfactory attendance in your course
  • Maintain satisfactory course progress (you should complete your course within the nominated time-frame, which is the study end-date indicated on your CoE)
  • Maintain (OSHC) Overseas Student Health Cover whilst in Australia
  • Maintain study at the sector level indicated on your Student Visa (I.E. you cannot move to a lower level of study, for example from a Bachelor’s degree to a Diploma)
  • Maintain adequate schooling arrangements for dependent children in Australia
  • Maintain approved arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare if you are under 18 years of age for any length of time during your stay in Australia.
  • Notify your education provider of any change of address and contact details whilst in Australia

A full list of visa conditions can be found on the DIBP website: Student Visa Conditions.


The Australian Government Department of Education and Training have put together a helpful fact sheet that contains important information for student visa holders about living and studying in Australia, including your consumer rights and responsibilities as an international student and key things you should know before and during your study. You can view this here: Department of Education: International Education