Experience Based Entry
Whatever your age, your work and life experience count when it comes to entry at SAE. We will consider all your qualifications, studies, employment, and professional experience when you apply to study with us.
The first (and best) thing to do is to phone our Course Advisors for a chat. We can’t stress this enough: contact SAE on 1800 723 338 to check if your qualifications and experience meet the admission criteria for the specific course you want to study. You may be pleasantly surprised that they do! Even if your qualifications fall short, we will suggest what else you will need to do to get into your preferred course.
Our Experience-Based Entry Scheme allows you to be considered for entry to any course based on our assessment of your ability to succeed in higher education.
SAE will consider your application individually if you:
- Are at least 18 years of age (or turning 18 during your first year of study); and
- Do not have the formal qualifications required for direct entry (for example no Year 12 certificate and no TAFE qualifications); and
- Seek admission to a course based on your aptitude for higher learning and skills development through your professional, work, and life experiences, and non-accredited study.
To apply via the Experience-Based Entry pathway, students are required to undertake an interview with SAE and provide supporting evidence that may include:
- Records of any formal educational qualifications attained
- Evidence of any informal studies undertaken
- References relating to work history relevant to the chosen field of study (if applicable)
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- A cover letter
- A portfolio/examples of relevant materials that may demonstrate qualities like creative aptitude, knowledge, technical skills, and abilities, or experience in a creative industries field.
In addition, candidates may also be asked to undertake a numeracy and literacy exam or written assignment to demonstrate their capacity to meet the course requirements.
In all cases, Experience-Based Entry into an SAE course will only be granted to students with a minimum Year 10 level of schooling.
For more information on Experience-Based Entry for a VET Certificate Course, please read the Student Entry Procedures Vocational Education & Training (VET) Courses. Alternatively, phone our friendly Course Advisors on 1800 723 338 or reach out online here: ENQUIRE NOW.
For more information on SAE's Experience Based Entry process, please refer to the Student Selection, Admission and Transfer Policy.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Students
All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who do not meet the Direct Entry requirements for our courses – whether they are undergraduate or postgraduate courses – are warmly encouraged to discuss their personal circumstances with the SAE admissions team and arrange for an interview. Free call us on 1800 723 338 or reach out online here: ENQUIRE NOW
You may be surprised to find out that your life and work experiences and non-formal study may demonstrate your suitability for entry into SAE courses.
In addition to our Experience-Based Entry, SAE acknowledges that other factors could also demonstrate your suitability for study. This could include things like your community engagement, volunteering, prior unpaid work history, and family commitments and responsibilities you have shouldered.
Current Year 12 Aboriginal and Torres Strait islanders are also encouraged to apply for our Creative Indigenous Scholarship. (July-October)